Menu Close

And So It Begins…

I am moving to Vegas!



There is so much that went into this before this day - January 15, 2019 - arrived.  I’ll probably share more details in the future.  For now, I’ll focus on this one day:



The day started off in what could have been some crazy drama, but I didn’t let it be so.  My son spent the night at my place so he could take me to the airport in the morning and keep the car.


My little old car, George, has always been a rock for me.  He always got me from point A to B without a hitch.  It made a funny noise when I parked it last night.  And I know my car.  I know this noise was something.  But, I let my mind tell me it was nothing.  However, this morning when my son and I went to leave for the airport at 3:50 AM, it was hard - really hard - to steer the car.  In fact, it was so hard that I pulled out of the space and then immediately struggled to turn it properly to put it back into the space.  Something was very wrong.  I felt so bad.  Here my son had been waiting months for me to leave so he could have my car and now this!  But I didn’t have time to deal with it.  I had to get to the airport.  So I gave him instructions to have it towed to the mechanics and that we’d get it fixed.


So he instructed me to download the uber app.  For the first time in my life, I used uber.  The driver was there within nine minutes and got me to the airport in time.  Such an easy process.  Download the app and pay through the phone.  Functional and simplistic!


The driver was really nice.  He was from Haiti and started with uber when the company first came into being.  He said he made really good money then, but now everyone is driving for uber, so he makes less.  Anyway, we talked all the way to the airport about a variety of topics -  Haiti, stupid trump, ubering and also my car.  He said it was a problem with the power steering and if we were lucky it would only need some fluid.  Well, that would be nice I thought.  Well, more about the car at the end of the flight.


Get to the airport and of course there’s a line.  But it did move quickly and smoothly.  I felt so sorry for all of the TSA people who are literally working without pay!  It’s crazy. Trump and his cronies are crazy, but we’ll leave that for now.


I stand in the giant circular xray machine with my arms up as if I’m under arrest.  My back brace and my earrings made splotches on my image.  Why of course I had to have a good old TSA pat down. The young lady who did my “rub down” was being trained by another woman who was directing her conversation with me and how she patted or rubbed me down.  They were extremely polite and asked if I wanted to go to a place where there was more privacy for the procedure.  That was nice, I appreciated that. I said, no that’s fine, just go ahead and do what you’ve got to do.  I pulled off my back brace and held my arms out to the side.


Now that was done, another woman was holding one of my suitcases off to the side.  She pointed at a blob on the xray and said she had to open my suitcase.  I said “Oh, those are my ankle weights.  No problem, open away and check what you need to.”


She pulled out the ankle weights and ran them through some sort of machine to make sure it wasn’t a bomb. Then, she rubbed this round metal thing on my hands to test for “bomb making chemicals.”  I had to laugh about that.  I found the whole process interesting.  But, of course, no bomb, no chemicals and I was free to put my back brace back on and to continue to the terminal.


After a short wait, we were boarding the plane.


As I stepped into the plane and started moving inward, my first inclination was to turn around and run off the plane.  I looked at the tube that I was walking into and I wanted to freak out.  I felt positively claustrophobic.  I really wanted to freak out.  And for a few moments I felt freaked out.  I wanted to turn around and press through all of the people getting on the plane so I could get off the plane.  Thoughts crossed my mind of riding a train out to Vegas instead of flying.


But then, I told myself to calm down, relax and deal with it.  I pulled my mind out of the "freaked out zone," and took my seat.  I told myself that I will just close my eyes, sleep and project my thoughts on landing and being off the plane.  Plus, I told myself that I fly all the time in my dreams, so if the plane were to crash, I would just fly!  Ha hahaha!  It helped me to relax.  I sat and projected white light all around my body and then throughout the inside of the plane and then on the entire outside of the plane for safety.  All of my relaxation techniques worked.  I can't say for sure that putting white light around the plane worked, but I like to think it did!

There were two seats. I got the seat next to the window, snuggled in, buckled up and made myself comfortable.  A lovely lady smiled, said "hi" and sat in the seat next to me.  I said "hi" back and went back into my own thoughts, closed my eyes and relaxed.


I haven’t flown that often but have to admit that I do look forward to the plane jetting down the runway and slowly lifting up into the sky.  It amazes me.  It's like being on an amusement ride.  The speed, the rush, the lift.  It will always take me back to my son's first airplane ride when he was a little guy.  He felt the rush and was thrilled and yelled out loudly "woah!" with a huge smile on his face.  Everyone looked over at him and smiled. They shared his joy.  He was such an action-oriented child - always running and jumping. He loved the experience of the lift off.  I will always relive that moment of him on every plane take off.  The thrill of that child.


The lady next to me, pulled out her breakfast and ate after the plane got up in the air.  I closed my eyes and relaxed deeper still hoping to get some sleep as I had been up most of the night.  The thought of needing to be at the airport at 4:00 AM freaked me out.  It was hard to go to sleep. I was really tired, which was good because I wanted to sleep during the entire 7 hours of flight, which I considered an ordeal.


I dozed off and at some point, the lady next to me, shook me and pointed at the window across the way from us.  "Look at that sunrise!" she said. It was truly beautiful.  Even through the small plane window across the aisle we could see the amazing colors in the sky as the sun began to rise.  It would have been a fantastic photo.  If I was on the other side of the plane, I would have tried capture that shot.  From our window, all we could see were the wing and the clouds.  But – the clouds were very cool.  They formed peaks and valleys.  It looked like there were mountains. I imagined that there were cities there…  I tried to take a picture, but only got a shot of the flash against the window.


My new friend “J” and I talked about how beautiful the sunrise was and how lucky we were to see it.  That opened up a dialogue that kept us talking throughout the entire plane ride as we flew from Connecticut to Atlanta.  It was so nice to meet someone who shared similar ideas about life, spirituality, and how we as individuals felt we fit into the world.


I won’t share a lot of the details of our conversation, but let’s just say it was deep.  We found so many similarities between us.  As I do with everyone, I go to the point where I  told her that “I love me some me!  Don’t you love you some you?”

She laughed and said, “OMG, you’ve got to make that into a song!”

Well, that’s a good idea.  Thanks J.  I should.


There is no such thing as “coincidence.”  The word coincide is an intentional crossing of paths.  The word “coincidence” comes from “coincide.”  We were meant to meet.  God put her next to me on that plane.  We’ve been in touch since our shared flight.  We’re instant soul friends!


Before the flight ended, we connected on facebook so we could stay in touch.  We said our goodbyes as she headed for Alabama by uber and I waited for my next flight to Vegas.


And what say you?

%d bloggers like this: